Sunday, 18 October 2009
Nut roast (3 colours)
We made this without the cheese and it still tasted very good.
Mixed nuts (e.g., walnuts, hazelnuts, sesame seeds, almonds, cashews) - 250g
Shallots - 100g
Chopped tomatoes - 400g tin
Egg - 1, beaten
Cheddar cheese - 100g, grated
Dried thyme - 0.5 tsp
Dried sage - 0.5 tsp
Dried mint - 0.5 tsp
Parsley - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Marmite or other yeast extract - 1 tsp blended with 1 tsp boiling water
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Butter / margarine for greasing tin
1) Dry fry the nuts, stirring gently, until golden fragrant, taking care not to burn. Remove to a bowl and leave to cool.
2) Blend in a food processor until thoroughly ground.
3) In a large bowl, combine the ground nuts with all remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
4) Preheat the oven to 180° / gas mark 4. Grease the loaf tin with butter/margarine.
5) Scoop the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until firm and golden. Cool slightly, then turn out.