Monday, 24 May 2010
Bean, spinach and cashew curry (2 colours)
This recipe makes a very mild curry, which we liked because you can taste the flavours of the ingredients more, but I'm sure increasing the amount of spices would be good too.
Carrots - 2 large, thinly sliced
Cashews - whole unsalted, 75g
Garlic - 2 clove, finely chopped
Ginger - 1 tbsp grated root
Green chillies - 2, finely chopped
Ground almonds - 50g
Ground coriander - 1 tsp
Ground cumin - 1 tsp
Kidney beans - 400g can, drained
Spinach - 2 large handfuls, torn into pieces
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Onion - 1 large, finely chopped
Water - 300 ml
1) Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion and carrot and cook until tender, but not brown.
2) Add the garlic, ginger, chillis and spices, stir and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3) Add the almonds, cashews, kidney beans and water. Bring to the boil.
4) Transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours. After 4 hours stir and check that the curry isn't too dry. Add a little water if necessary.
5) Just before serving add the spinach and mix well. Serves 3.