Onion - 1 large, chopped
Garlic - 1 clove, crushed / finely chopped
Tomato - 1 large
Kidney beans - 1 large can, drained
Bread - 75g with crusts removed
Breadcrumbs - 3-4 tbsp
Egg - 1, beaten
Olive oil - 2 tbsp
1) Heat half the olive oil in a small pan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, cover the tomato in boiling water, wait for a couple of minutes and then remove the skin, seeds and any hard bits. Chop the tomato and add to the pan with the garlic and onion. Cook for a few minutes until the tomato has softened.
3) Tear the bread and add to the pan with the (drained) kidney beans. Mix and then either mash well or process into a thick puree using a blender (I found the latter worked really well).
4) Divide the mixture into four and make it into flat burger shapes (not too thick or they won't cook in the middle).
5) Coat each burger in egg and then breadcrumbs. Fry in the remaining olive oil until golden brown on both sides and serve with salsa or sour cream. Serves 2.
1 day ago