Tuesday, 3 August 2010
Moroccan vegetable and chickpea stew (5 colours)
Chickpeas - 200g, soaked overnight or 1 large can
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Shallots - 3, chopped
Garlic - 1 clove, crushed / finely chopped
Yellow pepper - 1, seeded and chopped
Carrot - 1 large, chopped
Ginger - 1 inch fresh, peeled and chopped or grated
Ground cinnamon - 0.5 tsp
Ground cumin - 0.5 tsp
Paprika - 0.25 tsp
Turmeric - 0.25 tsp
Green beans - 1 pack fresh, ends removed and chopped into 1 inch pieces
Vegetable stock - 450 ml
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Tomatoes - 400g can
Peas - 100 g
Dried fruit - 125g, chopped (I used a mixture of apricots, sultanas and raisins)
1) Cook the chickpeas in advance, as per the instructions on the pack. Drain and set aside. Alternatively, simply drain the can of pre-cooked chickpeas.
2) Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the shallots, garlic, carrot and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until softened.
3) Add the ginger, cinnamon, cumin, paprika and turmeric to the frying pan and stir. Cook for 1 minute before removing from the heat.
4) Transfer the vegetables to the slow cooker. Add the chickpeas, green beans, tomatoes, lemon juice and vegetable stock.
5) Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. 20 minutes before serving add the peas and dried fruit. Serve with cous cous. Serves 4.