Thursday, 22 July 2010
Potato koftas with spicy bean sauce (4 colours)
We found that this makes sauce for two, but probably enough potato koftas for three unless you're really hungry.
Potatoes - 450g, chopped
Chilli powder - pinch
Cornflour - 3 tbsp
Lemon juice - 2 tbsp
Dried breadcrumbs - 50g
Oil for deep fat frying
Olive oil - 1 tbls
Onion - 1, chopped
Garlic - 1 clove, crushed / finely chopped
Sweetcorn - 198g can, drained
Kidney beans - 200g can, drained
Chopped tomatoes - 400g can
1) Boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain, mash and set aside.
2) Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and tomatoes and stir. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce is thick.
3) Begin heating the oil for the deep fat frying. Add the lemon juice, cornflour and a pinch of chilli powder to the mashed potato and mix well. Form the potato mixture into balls about the size of walnuts and roll them in the breadcrumbs to coat.
4) When the oil is hot, add the potato balls in batches and fry until golden brown. Drain them on kitchen roll while the rest are cooking.
5) Meanwhile, add the kidney beans, sweetcorn and a pinch of chilli powder to the tomato sauce. Warm until heated through.
6) Spoon the sauce onto plates and then top with the koftas. Serves two.