Wednesday, 25 August 2010
Green bean and corn hash (3 colours)
This recipe is adapted slightly from Lisa's Kitchen.
Olive oil - 3 tbsp
Fresh green beans - 1 pack, cut into 1 inch pieces
Sweetcorn - 0.75 cup kernels (either frozen or from a can)
Potatoes - 2 large, diced
Onion - 1, chopped
Spring onions - 2, chopped
Garlic - 2 cloves, finely chopped / crushed
Red chilli peppers - 2, finely chopped
Black beans - 0.25 cups
Chilli powder - 0.5 tsp
Dried oregano - 0.25 tsp
Sour cream and cayenne pepper for garnish
1) Soak the black beans overnight. Drain and cover them with several inches of fresh water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 to 1.5 hours or until the beans are soft. Drain and lightly mash with a fork.
2) Place the potato pieces in a small pan of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes, adding the green beans to the pan for the last couple of minutes.
3) Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok. Drain the potatoes and beans. Add the potatoes to the frying pan with the spring onion, onion, garlic and oregano. Stir to coat the vegetables with oil and then cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are turning golden brown.
4) Add the chilli peppers, green beans, sweetcorn and chilli powder. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
5) Mix in the black beans and cook for another minute or two until the black beans are warm. Serve with sour cream and a little cayenne pepper. Serves 3.