Saturday, 5 February 2011

Louisiana ratatouille (4 colours)

The annual okra festival (okrafest) in Checotah, Oklahoma is mentioned in a Carrie Underwood song that I like and I decided last year that I must try okra. I've only had it twice and I'm not sure that I can describe the taste, but I do enjoy it.

Ingredients
Olive oil - 2 tbsp
Onions - 2, finely chopped
Garlic - 4 cloves, finely chopped
Dried oregano - 1 tsp
Chopped tomatoes - 2 400 g tins
Red wine vinegar - 2 tbsp
Aubergines - 2, chopped into 2 inch cubes
Green pepper - 1, chopped
Okra - 500 g

Methods
1) Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the aubergine until golden brown - in batches if necessary.
2) Remove the aubergine from the pan and place in the slow cooker. Add the onion to the frying pan and cook until softened. Add the garlic and oregano, stir and cook for one minute.
3) Add the chopped tomatoes and red wine vinegar to the frying pan and bring to the boil. Transfer to the slow cooker and stir well.
4) Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
5) Trim the ends off the okra and cut into 1 inch lengths. Add to the slow cooker with the pepper. Cook for a further 30 minutes - don't overcook the okra or it will go very sticky. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment