Saturday, 9 October 2010
Algerian mixed vegetables (4 colours)
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Onion - 1, chopped
Ground cumin - 1 tsp
Cinnamon stick - 1, snapped into two pieces
Sweet potato - 1 medium sized, chopped into medium-sized chunks
Courgettes - 2, sliced into thick strips
Carrot - 1 large, sliced into thick strips
Celery - 2 sticks, sliced
Turnip - 1, chopped
Dried chickpeas - 100g, soaked overnight and boiled for 1.5 - 2 hours
Sultanas - 1 tbsp
Chopped tomatoes - 400 g can
Tomato puree - 2 tbsp
Honey - 1 tbsp
1) Begin by chopping all the vegetables.
2) Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion for 5 minutes until softened.
3) Add the cumin and cinnamon and stir well. Add all the vegetables and stir to coat with the spices.
4) Add the sultanas, chopped tomatoes, cooked chickpeas, tomato puree and honey. Add a little water to the pan (but not enough to cover the vegetables) and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
5) Serve over couscous. Serves 4.