Saturday, 27 November 2010

Lemon drizzle cake (2 colours)

These taste very similar to Kipling's lemon slices, but slightly softer and yet crunchier because of the polenta. This recipe also makes a lot more than you get in a box and I'll definitely be making them again soon.

Ingredients

For the cake:
Self-raising flour - 140 g
Polenta - 100 g
Golden caster sugar - 200 g
Lemons - 3, grated zest only
Butter - 200 g, well softened
Eggs - 4
Lemon curd - 4 tbsp

For the syrup:
Golden caster sugar - 4 tbsp
Lemon - 1, juice and grated zest

Methods
1) Grease and line a 20x30 cm roasting tin (I didn't have any grease-proof paper so didn't line the tin. Although the cake came out easy enough it did break into 4 or 5 pieces). Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2) Sieve the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add the butter, lemon zest and eggs. Beat until creamy - I did this in a food processor, but if the butter is soft enough I'm sure this could be done by hand.
3) Pour the mixture into the cake tin. Using a dessert spoon, spoon the lemon curd in thick stripes along the top of the cake mixture. I found this to be a little difficult as the curd was quite cold and not very runny. Once you've used all the curd use the spoon to swirl it into a pattern of your choice (but don't stir it in too deep). Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes - the cake should be spongey and have come away from the edge of the tin slightly.
4) Leave the cake to cool for 10 minutes. Mix the sugar and lemon juice together and then drizzle over the cake. Sprinkle over the lemon zest and then carefully remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack. Cut into fingers or squares. Makes around 20-30 fingers.

2 comments:

  1. My problem is neither Jo nor Rich eat many cakes so making a big one means I have to work my way through it alone. Or is that a problem???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's only a problem if they're either very rich or won't keep well. I could have eaten a quarter of this in one sitting (but managed to restrain myself)

    Of course we can (and usually do) help you out with cake eating when we visit!

    ReplyDelete