Thursday, 23 December 2010
Ginger biscuits (0 colours)
Plain flour - 350 g
Bicarbonate of soda - 1 tsp
Ground ginger - 2 tsp
Butter - 100 g
Light brown sugar - 175 g
Egg - 1
Golden syrup - 4 tbsp
1) Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and mix with your hands until it forms small crumbs.
2) Add the sugar, egg and golden syrup and again mix with your hands until it forms a dough.
3) Roll out the biscuit dough to the desired thickness - between 0.5 and 1 cm should be about right. Cut into shapes.
4) Place the shapes on a greased baking tray, being careful to leave some space between them as they will get larger in the oven. Bake at 180°C for 10-15 minutes.
5) Leave to cool for a minute and then remove from the tray. We found that leaving them any longer than this made them really difficult to get out whole because once the biscuits cool they can become quite brittle.