Tuesday, 4 January 2011
Sweet potato, pepper and pumpkin soup (4 colours)
Red peppers - 3, halved and deseeded
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Red onion - 1, finely chopped
Garlic - 1 clove, finely chopped
Tomato puree - 1 tbsp
Sweet potatoes - 400 g, peeled and cubed
Pumpkin - 400 g flesh (peeled), chopped
Vegetable stock - 1 litre
Pumpkin seeds - 2 tsp
Sunflower seeds - 2 tsp
Sesame seeds - 2 tsp
1) Chop 5 of the pepper halves.
2) Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion and garlic for 10 minutes until soft.
3) Add the tomato puree, pumpkin, sweet potato and pepper pieces. Cook for 10 minutes and then add the vegetable stock.
4) Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
5) Put the seeds on a baking tray and toast under the grill until golden brown.
6) Blend the soup in a food processor or blender (in batches if necessary). Finely chop the reserved pepper half. Serve the soup garnished with the pepper pieces and toasted seeds. Serves 4.