Thursday, 16 June 2011

Sausage pie (3 colours)

I've eaten sausage pie for as long as I can remember - I think the recipe originally came from my father's mother. These days I use vegetarian sausages, but I grew up with it containing skinless pork sausages or sometimes sausage meat. The crispy bits of mashed potato that form around the edges of the dish are always fought over!


Ingredients
Potatoes - 5 large, peeled and quartered.
Vegetarian sausages - 1 pack, chopped into 1 cm pieces
Mixed herbs - 1 tsp
Baking apple - 1 large, peeled and chopped
Onion - 1 large, chopped
Tomatoes - 2 large, sliced

Methods
1) Boil the potatoes for about 20 minutes until cooked.
2) Meanwhile, put a layer of sausage pieces in the base of a large pyrex dish and sprinkle over the herbs. Top with a layer of apple, followed by a layer of onion. Arrange the tomato slices on top.
3) Mash the potatoes with a little margarine and then spread on top of the tomatoes. Cover with a lid and bake at 220°C for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serves 2-3.

No comments:

Post a Comment