Thursday, 17 November 2011
Tortilla, pinto bean and sweetcorn soup (3 colours)
This soup was supposed to have a tin of mild chillis added at the same point as the sweetcorn, but I wasn't able to find one in the shops. It has a lovely flavour even without the chillis.
Dried pinto beans - 200g, cooked as per the instructions on the packet
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Onions - 2, finely chopped
Garlic - 2 cloves, finely chopped
Red chilli pepper - 2, finely chopped
Ground cumin - 1 tbsp
Dried oregano - 1 tbsp
Lime juice - 1 tbsp
Chopped tomatoes - 2 400 g cans
Vegetable stock - 1.5 litres
Frozen sweetcorn - 500 ml (measured in a jug)
Flour tortillas - 3
1) Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and cook until softened.
2) Add the garlic, chilli, cumin, oregano and lime juice and cook for another minute. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and then transfer to a blender.
3) Add the pinto beans to the blender with the tomato mixture and blend until smooth. Pour into a slow cooker, add the stock and cook on high for 4 hours.
4) Add the sweetcorn to the slow cooker, stir and cook for another 30 minutes.
5) A few minutes before serving heat the oven to 180°C. Slice the tortillas into 1 inch strips. Place on a baking tray and brush with oil. Bake for a couple of minutes until golden (keep an eye on them as you can see from the photo that we overcooked ours!), turn over and repeat. Serve the soup with the tortilla strips on top. Serves 6.