Thursday, 9 August 2012

Baked felafel (1 colour)


Ingredients
Dried chickpeas - 150 g, soaked overnight and boiled for 90 minutes
Onion - 1 chopped
Garlic - 2 cloves, finely chopped
Wholemeal bread - 2 slices, crusts removed and broken into crumbs
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Chilli powder - 0.5 tbsp
Ground cumin - 0.75 tbsp
Flour - 4 tbsp


Methods
1) Drain the chickpeas and mash them in a large bowl until they form a paste. Add the other ingredients and mix well. Put the bowl in the fridge for a couple of hours.
2) Form the batter into 8-10 balls - I made them flat so that they would cook easier.
3)  Line a baking tray with foil and grease lightly. Place the felafel on the tray and cook at 190°C for 10 minutes. Turn them over and cook for a further 10 minutes. Serves 4.


3 comments:

  1. I have never known exactly what Felafel was. Thank you. It sounds easy. One I must try when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally they're fried (deep fried I think) and served in pitta bread with salad, but these ones are healthier (and I have trouble deep frying anyway - must buy a cooking thermometer).

      Delete
  2. I eat a lot of Falafel (which I have always spelt with an a as the first vowel) but have never made my own from scratch. I usually dry fry it (non-stick surface) but do sometimes bake it. I once fried it in shallow oil but I think it's better dry.

    ReplyDelete