Saturday, 11 August 2012

Rhubarb crumble (1 colour)

This is the actually the first time I've made a crumble from scratch - previously I've cheated by buying ready-mixed crumble topping. This one was much tastier, even if it was a little less crumbly and more gooey than I'd intended.


Ingredients
Rhubarb - 500 g, chopped into 3 inch pieces
Golden caster sugar - 100 g
Ground ginger - pinch
Self-raising flour - 140 g
Butter - 85 g, cold
Soft brown sugar - 50 g
Demerara - for sprinkling

Methods
1) Combine the rhubarb and golden caster sugar in a saucepan. Cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the pinch of ginger.
2) Meanwhile, rub the flour and butter together to make crumbs. Add the soft brown sugar and stir.
3) Pour the rhubarb into a baking dish and cover with the crumble topping. Sprinkle over a little demerara and cook in the oven for 30 minutes at 180°C. Serves 4-6.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know how wet yours turned out but I usually drain off some of the juice from the rhubarb before I add the crumble topping. But don't waste the juice, it's a lovely drink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark. My fruit part didn't seem that wet (although maybe the crumble absorbed all the moisture), but I'll remember that for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite crumble. Don't know what my recipe is (and being away I can't look it up) but from memory I think it's pretty similar to yours. Problem is Jo and Rich don't like it so I have to eat it all. Problem??

    ReplyDelete