Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Onion - 1, chopped
Carrots - 2, peeled & diced
Celery - 2 sticks, chopped
Red lentils - 175 g
Dried mixed herbs - 1 tsp
Tabsco sauce - few drops
Vegetable stock - 300 ml
Chopped tomatoes - 400 g tin
Salted peanuts - 100 g, chopped
Potatoes - 675 g, washed, but not peeled
Cheddar cheese - 50 g, grated
1) Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion until softened. Add the carrots and celery and cook for another couple of minutes.
2) Add the lentils, herbs, tabasco sauce, stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil.
3) Reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes, adding more stock if necessary, until the lentils are cooked. Stir in the peanuts and simmer for another 5 minutes.
4) Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in their skins until cooked, but not soft. Drain and slice thinly.
5) Pour the lentil and peanut mixture into an ovenproof dish. Layer over the potato slices and sprinkle over the cheese. Grill for 5-10 minutes until the cheese has melted.