Tuesday, 21 May 2013
Butter - 225 g, softened
Self-raising flour - 225 g
Caster sugar - 225 g
Orange - juice & grated rind of 1
Eggs - 4
Gooseberries - 225 g
Granulated sugar - 140 g
1) Cream together the butter, flour, caster sugar, orange rind and eggs in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
2) Gently stir in the gooseberries and then pour into a 20 x 30 cm baking tin.
3) Bake at 180°C for 35 minutes until a skewer comes out clean (I covered mine with foil after 20 minutes so that the top didn't burn).
4) Mix together the juice of the orange and the granulated sugar. Prick the cake with a fork and pour over the orange syrup. Leave to cool and then cut into squares or bars. Serves 12.
Saturday, 11 May 2013
Olive oil - 2 tbsp
Vegetarian sausages - 6
Plain flour - 150 g
Eggs - 2
Soya milk - 300 ml
Rosemary - a couple of sprigs, stems removed
Cherry tomatoes - handful
1) Fry the sausages in half the olive oil, turning occasionally, until cooked.
2) Meanwhile, sieve the flour into a bowl and then whisk in the eggs. Gradually stir in the soya milk until the batter is smooth. Stir in the rosemary.
3) Heat the rest of the olive oil in an oven-proof dish for 5 minutes at 200°C until hot.
4) Gently arrange the sausages and tomatoes in the dish and then pour over the batter. Return to the oven immediately and cook for a further 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. Serves 2-3.
Wednesday, 1 May 2013
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Onion - 1, chopped
Carrots - 2, peeled & diced
Celery - 2 sticks, chopped
Red lentils - 175 g
Dried mixed herbs - 1 tsp
Tabsco sauce - few drops
Vegetable stock - 300 ml
Chopped tomatoes - 400 g tin
Salted peanuts - 100 g, chopped
Potatoes - 675 g, washed, but not peeled
Cheddar cheese - 50 g, grated
1) Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion until softened. Add the carrots and celery and cook for another couple of minutes.
2) Add the lentils, herbs, tabasco sauce, stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil.
3) Reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes, adding more stock if necessary, until the lentils are cooked. Stir in the peanuts and simmer for another 5 minutes.
4) Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in their skins until cooked, but not soft. Drain and slice thinly.
5) Pour the lentil and peanut mixture into an ovenproof dish. Layer over the potato slices and sprinkle over the cheese. Grill for 5-10 minutes until the cheese has melted.